From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 23:03:36 -0400
Thanks Juanse!

Its always neat to see businesses doing this.

We worked with the Hilton last year in Cincinnati, Ohio.

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/story/2011/05/Hotel-bees-a-honey-of-an-idea/47236744/1

They are expanding to four hives and Chef Todd Kelly is taking two more hives onto his property.  We are hoping they will take over full management of the colonies this year.  It takes a bug chunk out of your day to worry about security and moving unseen to floor.  Its fun and the view is great, but in the time it takes me to do the two colonies I can be through two of my main yards with 25 colonies in each.  The hotel purchased about 440 pounds of honey from us last year using it for just about everything except their small single serving 1.5oz room service jars.  This past year they harvested a little over 26 pounds of honey from the the two hives.  Once everything is scaled up they could be producing a fair amount of honey.

I would say that this is a perfect example of putting myself out of business but demand for local honey is so high that the loss to those roof top hives I helped install is taken up by another customer.

Not just local, 'hyper-local".

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio