From:
Dan Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2012 11:05:09 -0500
This has been the mildest winter in my memory. My best estimate is
that about half of my hives are brooding up as though spring were
already here. I talked to an experienced beekeeper who discovered a
number of hives that had starved already. These weren’t wimpy clusters
but big populations of dead bees…and no stores left. So far I’ve been
lucky. I’ve made the rounds and found about 10% of my hives were on
the absolute brink. Large populations and frames of brood….and all of
their winter stores gone. These were not hives that I thought were at
risk last fall.
Watch ‘em close!
--
Dan Harris