From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2012 10:05:21 -0600
Finding bee school teachers is not too hard.  What is hard is finding bee
school teacher who do not know the RIGHT way of keeping bees, but rather
understand the spectrum of attitudes and methods present in beekeeping.  I
have been teaching bee classes for many years starting when we were lucky to
have a half dozen interested students.  Now, as most know, it is hard to
keep up with the demand.  I limit the number of classes I teach and the
number of students per class.

The level of expertise in the bee teachers is also a growing problem.  I,
too, have met those with limited experience leading those with no experience
into the bee world.  This may well lead to an unrewarding beekeeping
experience and the loss of potential beekeeping comrads.

Beyond that, I agree with Andrew that a great beekeeper does not necessarily
make a great teacher.  There are well-qualified beekeepers I enjoy having a
conversation across the dinner table with who do not have the teacher thing.

I further agree with Andrew that the real proof of a good class and a good
teacher becomes apparent in the months and years following the class.
Although I do not follow up on all my students, I do solicit feedback after
each class.  I also keep a Yahoo list for my former students.  I tell my
students it is not a chat group, but an extention of the class.  When they
are knee deep in bees and have a question they did not ask in class, they
can still ask the teacher and it will be answered for the entire class... on
line.  It also helps me to understand what I need to add to the classes I
teach.

Larry Krengel