ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Payo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:50:18 -0600

DMNS is hosting a live broadcast from the field featuring our chief curator, Dr. Kirk Johnson. Kirk is a PI on a project in Big Horn Basin, Wyoming.  Scientists at the site are drilling rock cores in this area that has significance in studying climate change.   An event known as the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) was one of the most significant episodes of global warming in the last 100 million years.  Sediments deposited during the PETM are well-exposed in the Bighorn Basin, offering an opportunity to understand this event and apply the learnings to current earth system changes.

Some slots have opened in our schedule for Thursday, August 4th and we are inviting institutions with video conferencing capabilities to receive the live broadcast as a way of connecting scientists to the general public, especially teachers.   The hour to 90-minute long sessions will consist of Kirk giving an overview and tour of the site and the project, as well as the chance for audience members to ask Kirk questions directly.  Video conferencing hardware is required to participate.  There are no institutional fees associated with receiving the broadcast from DMNS.

Currently we have groups of teachers and university students from Colorado and Montana participating.  We can arrange a separate time slot for your institution on August 4th and also discuss how we might be able to tailor your session to your needs.

If you're institution is interested, please contact Robert Payo at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> as soon as possible.  Those of you that have seen Kirk present know what a dynamic speaker he is and his ability to explain science concepts clearly and engagingly to the general public.  This is a great opportunity and we hope you join us!

For more information:  http://www.dmns.org/teachers/at-your-school/scientists-in-action/drilling-for-climate-change

Robert Payo
Technology Program Supervisor
Youth & Teacher Programs
303.370.6014

Please consider the environment before deciding to print this e-mail.