From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:30:38 -0400
> This seems a bit circular...the average size nest is determined by what sizes nests are...it tells us nothing about _why_ they choose that size.  I think the ability to build up to swarm early enough is probably very high on the list of "why".

Yes, it is circular. It is a feedback loop. That is how evolution works: try and succeed vs. try and fail. The ones with the right stuff succeed and reproduce. So, a lineage that can accurately select the right sized cavity will prevail.

Tom Seeley has shown that this cavity selection is very fine tuned. In a recent presentation he raised the idea that by keeping bees in much larger facilities, we not only increase the honey crop but may in fact increase susceptibility to parasites.

There is more to it than, I don't have time to go into it, but the species has no doubt fine tuned all these behaviors over millions of years, and their ability to vary them is considerably constrained by such hard wiring.

It is a most interesting question as to what, if any, decisions are made by colonies by any method other than applying a fixed rule. The success of these rules is measured by the percentage of times they work. Obviously, many colonies make the wrong choice, go out on a limb, and starve to death.

PLB