Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:11:39 -0400
>>... the earliest date it was scientifically proven or first known that a
>> colony of bees -well fortified with honey, would begin to abandon
>> foraging great distances, in favor of foraging closer to home.

Or not at all.  We see that well-fed hives pretty  much settle down and
stay home in the fall while hungry hives venture everywhere in search of food.

>Perhaps you would like to provide a reference source that this was
> *ever* scientifically proven.

Actually, I think this is pretty well known by beekeepers and maybe a few
scientists :)

Although hives will _scout_ long distances, even when well-provisioned and
with forage nearby, the _foragers_ will predominantly work crops which
demonstrate the best compromise between distance and quality. Competition
and wind will also affect the decision.

It is also well-known by observant beekeepers that bees will forage far
greater distances if necessary when near starving that when well-fed.
Well-fed hives show less interest in marginal and low-reward sources.

We make a point of feeding the hives up early in fall to prevent the dwindling
and early winter loss that occurs if the hives are left hungry, even for a short
while, in fall.

Similarly, in spring, foragers in hives short of feed will sacrifice themselves in
search of stores while better-fed hives are more conservative about foraging.

As for scientific proof, there were some pollination studies of foraging
patterns done back in the last century by Beaverlodge scientists.  Sorry, I
don't have the references handy.  I suspect that the Hive and the Honey Bee
might have some mention of this and might Mark Winston's book.