From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:09:52 -0500
Hello Karen & All,
I have had hives in contact with horses without incident. I never have
fenced my hives from livestock.
I do kill the grass in the area of the hives when livestock as present. I
believe helps because when left to grow the livestock will move in around
the hives.

Horses are chewers and will chew on fence posts and the soft wood of bee
hives.

A problem with cattle is parasite control. If not  kept up on range cattle
the cattle will itch and try to rub against the hives and knock over.

I have never had a problem with letting horses, cattle , sheep or llamas
pasture around hives.

I did have a problem once with some steers knocking over empty hives
*waiting* for package bees and chewing honey off the comb ( in archives).

Animals are in contact with most of the hives in outyards but fields are not
small in range country.

The neighbors cattle were in my yard and drive last week through a hole in
their fence. We ran a few back a couple times then the cattle moved to the
east of the range. My wife was out with a broom trying to keep a couple
steers out of her flowers. My male outside cat was chasing a steer around.
Me I ignored the problem but still watching for cow patties when I go
outside.

bob