From:
tom long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 06:07:15 -0700
  For years I have lurked on the list and have and have been both informed and amused at many of the threads.  The recent comments on the Master Beekeepers has prompted me to contribute my thoughts.
  I do understand the difference in earning a livelihood in the apiary and having bees for other reasons. If your measure of success is the profit earned then this is your reward.  However, there are other benefits to be gleaned from beekeeping that some value over monetary gain.
  Many years ago when I first began to determine what I expected to achieve with the bees I first read a George Imirie Pink Page.  Over the years as I slowly incorporated his management technique as my own I began respect him above all others.  His pride in closing each pink page installment was always  "George Imirie Certified EAS Master Beekeeper".  I am not a Master Beekeeper and will never be one but because of George I take offense at some of the comments made.
  As with George, I take a small number of very strong hives through the flow without splitting and swarming.  It is possible to do much with little and learn quite a bit.
  If we are to measure success by profit gained then what is the value of standing behind a row of hives during the flow and feeling the excitement and joy of the moment?  How can I value my knowledge gained about the uniqueness of each season and the blooming of native vegetation?
  Thanks BEE-L for the years of informed discussion but I have to speak for the Master I have respected.

  Tom Long,
  Another Carolina Beekeeper