From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:43:47 -0800
--- On Mon, 2/27/12, allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Granulated honey is often also dry, so adding some humidity
> can sometimes help.

reply;
Totally agree with what you wrote. And in taking honey that granulates fast so when I get it home it is about set, I run extractors at about 200 rpm, to keep frames from blowing out while extracting,  and also use a common room humidifier that that normally comes with fan, most families use down here, this being a dry climate. Then you can augment with a simple box fan for more circulation of air.

continuing:
 In fall, placing
> a super of granulation below the brood will get it cleaned
> out and moved up.  We used to just place the odd
> uncapped frame of granulated honey at random in the centre
> of first the supers going on and it was always cleaned out.

reply;
Only problem here is if doing unlimited broodnest and honey to sides anyways, this is hard movement to do lifting wise, and below the broodnest in bottom position putting, then brings in desert mice, snakes and other fast, though probably not so much a problem up north. So if space to sides of brood, it makes for good stores for feeding weaker colonies to fill them up, for insurance in bank for backstock of food for lull periods. Or you then put a narrower entrance on for the bees to get thru but not the other.....but in a way should be doing this anyways.

Dee A. Lusby