Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:12:59 -0500
We do not use the word "organic" unless we are referring to "organic" as defined and owned by the government or the Organic Beekeepers list which is owned by Dee.

We use the term "treatment-free" to describe how we keep bees, how the bees are kept that produce the honey we sell, the Leominster beekeeping conference we run and the beekeeping classes we teach.

Our customers appreciate that we are able to clearly define what "treatment-free" means to us.  Our honey labels also reflect our definition of "treatment-free".

Most consumers are concerned about the bee forage and whether bees are being exposed to pesticides or other toxins.  They are usually shocked to hear that bees are treated with anything.  Many also want "local".  We offer them honey from Leominster (urban), Vermont (rural), or Arizona (extremely remote) and are happy to describe the locations.  All the honey we sell is equally popular - people are choosing what they buy based on their own criteria.  Our job is to give them information that is as honest and truthful as we can.

At this point, most of our customers are concerned about the truth regarding what they are buying and consuming.  Many are also mistrustful of "organic" labeling, certification and standards.  If there were an organic honey standard in the US I have no doubt that much of the honey we sell would qualify - I question whether having an organic certification would benefit us or the beekeepers we work with.

Ramona