Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2011 05:39:54 -0500
>Extract from a letter from Eric MacArthur, Scotland   Mite fall is monitored continuously
>and if mite drop a week after the December oxalic treatment averages more than 1.5
>mites per day the fumigation treatment is repeated.

Thanks for that.  Has anyone tabulated and posted typical results online to the
knowledge of anyone on this list?

> In the past I relied on a maximum of 4 oxalic acid treatments using 1.5 g each cycle.

How many brood  chambers  do you use at that time of  year ?

> Oxalic acid on its own I am now convinced is not effective in preventing a rapid summer
mite build up - see attached new findings by European experts.

That opinion seems to be pretty well  unanimous and the goal is to get control in the
window of time when the hives are broodless.  I'm discovering (once again) that the
window is somewhat elusive when there are more than a few hives.  Moreover, when that
condition does occur, the weather may be unsuitable here in the Great White North.

Do you happen to have a link to those findings, or could I get a copy off-list?

> ( He was using this as his only mite treatment and its not so effective with brood
> present, however there are other methods available to give a quick knock down
> to keep mite numbers low).

If you could elaborate on what is being used, I would appreciate it.

>We often move hives fully closed hivers in cool weather ...and you have about an hour
>before you do any damage - overheating

That is interesting.  I wonder how airtight they are?  A 1/16" crack along one side, like
along the floor adds up to 1.2 square inches.  Bees  can move a lot of air through 1
square inch.  My hives are EPS and the mating surfaces are soft enough to conform
to one another more than wood, eliminating such air leaks however the bottoms
have cracks where air can move..

>Three days off before getting back into supering

Have fun!  We have three more _months_ before we even start our spring field work.

Thanks for the comments.

Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada  T0M 1Y0
51 33'39.64"N  113 18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/