From:
Bill Ruzicka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:52:22 -0800
>How far and how fast does Varroa spread if unaided by beekeepers?
      8.6 km 5.4 miles a year.

The first Varroa in Europe was discovered by Oldrich Haradzim researcher of
Czechoslovak bee research institute in southern Slovakia in 1962 he also
wrote the first Varroa life cycle and is my co applicant of discovery of
fungus which kills Varroa.
 US Patent # 6,837,770 B2
In 1992 he wrote to me and asks me to find and send him the biopesticide
containing this fungus as Varroa was approaching a valley where he had his
cottage and his bees. Czechoslovakia is a hilly country with stationary
HOBBY type bee keeping with no movement of bees allowed except in local area
of Village. Villages are not more than 4-5 miles apart and there is
beekeeper or two in each Village. Sales of Queens and their larger producer
The Bee institute is in Czech part and all shipments off Queens were in east
direction while Varroa was spreading in opposite west.
The distance from the place of discovery to Oldrich cottage is 260 km or 160
miles, it took Varroa 30 years to cross the distance or 8.6 km 5.4 miles a
year.

Bill Ruzicka
Ps :Heather  & JOE story for you.

Bill's Honey Farm - Home of the MiteGone Formic Acid Treatment
Kelowna, British Columbia,  CANADA
Tel/Fax: 1-250-762-8156 (the best way to reach me is by phone Pacific Time)
Email: [log in to unmask] Website: www.mitegone.com