From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:12:40 -0500
 However, it is
ot realistic to suggest large scale natural selection to be the method of
hoice for breeding more
ite tolerant bees.

I am seeing more and more feral colonies in churches, chimneys, rooves and trees.Some of them have been there for many years (although there may have been some replacement from swarms).  Generally the common factor is that there are no hives close, by thus enabling what Seeley describes as vertical rather than horizontal transmission of mites.

I do, however, know of a kitchen ceiling in darkest West Dorset, miles from the next dwelling, which has had bees above it continuously it for over 20 years (sometimes entering the kitchen through cracks in the ceiling, a problem cured by duct tape). When I helped replace the soffit board a few years ago we drilled 3 holes about 6 feet apart for the bees. Most of the time all three are in use.  I'm not sure whether it is one colony horizontally spread or up to 3 colonies not all of which flourish at the same time. This may have an 'apiary affect' as described in recent mails. Comb renewal is effected by wax moths (one sees the debris coming through the cracks) and by rodents.  They must have had mites for most of the last 20 years but haven't succumbed yet.

I succeeded in hiving a swarm from there a few years ago but unfortunately the hive blew over in a winter gale and I didn't find out  for several weeks, by which time it was too late to save them.

Chris