From:
Peter Chiang Mai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:26:54 -0500
Thank you Lloyd.  Very interesting to learn about mesh being in imperial sizes.  I know when I have been buying in the not too distant past it was 100% metric so making note of your comments that sounds rather like me getting what they wanted to tell me rather than there being yet another standard.  You live and learn ...

You say "The OAG trap is the ancestor of all modern pollen traps" ...  do you happen to know if there are any drawings available for download of what would be called a 'modern' pollen trap?   We have nothing at all here and so I have to make some but I prefer to follow a plan rather than invent the wheel.

You say "until the burrs are removed by several days or weeks of wear."   These burrs are presumably on the reverse side of the hole?  So presumably a belt sander or grinder could be used to smooth them off?

" I have never seen a plastic performation that was not junk.  (Sorry.)  Perhaps such a trap exists and I have not seen it."   I had never thought about pollen traps being anything other than a small external unit until I built some Langstroth hives.  Now that has been such an eye opener.   All the pollen traps I have seen here use a plastic screen but it is nothing at all like what you would view as a serious pollen trap.

"Collection of 50%-60% of pollen, with the remaining amount going to the brood nest."  PLB just added a comment that "The bees adjust the amount of pollen coming in so that they have an adequate supply regardless of how much you take".    What would be nice would be to vary the amount taken to reflect the cell congestion during times of large amounts of pollen being brought in.

I understand the need for a drone escape but how do they work?