From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 12:35:48 -0500
> ...but 3 years before AHB was reported in Arizona, Dr. Erikson, the director of the Tucson Bee Lab was giving talks about cell size...

I had personal communications with Dr. Erickson on this and he told me that while the cell size appeared to have some effect, it was easier and more effective to breed varroa tolerant bees, and no equipment needed to be changed

> The Amado commercial beekeeper has never used Apistan. Here VM and HBTM susceptible colonies are allowed to die and are replaced with divides from surviving colonies. This beekeeper has used other non-chemical parasite management strategies including the use of brood combs with cell diameter smaller than the industry norm. Colonies in two apiaries were sampled. None of these beekeepers routinely monitor their mite infestation levels by means other than visual inspection.

Producing Varroa-Tolerant Honey Bees.
by E. H. ERICKSON, A. H. ATMOWIDJOJO and L. HINES.
Revised manuscript received for publication Oct. 6, 1998.

> Our earlier research demonstrated that it is relatively easy for beekeepers in the southwestern United States to produce Varroa-tolerant honey bee populations using their own locally adapted stock.  The only requirements are fundamental beekeeping skills, the ability to rear queens, and the few Varroa-tolerant colonies that are present in nearly every apiary.  Our Varroa-tolerant population was developed in less than 2 years and is now going into its sixth year.

Producing Varroa-tolerant Honey Bees from Locally Adapted Stock: A Recipe
By E.H. ERICKSON, L.H. HINES, and A.H. ATMOWIDJOJO
American Bee Journal. 140 (8): 659-661, 2000.