Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:23:59 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>

>....Africanized bees. They are naturally going to do better on small cells, because that is the size that they build and they are small bees.

Perhaps, but even if the feral small cell bees in Arizona are Afrcianized today, they haven't always been.

I believe that the Bee Lab in Tucson had quite a bit of funding coming their way as AHB arrived.  ...but 3 years before AHB was reported in Arizona, Dr. Erikson, the director of the Tucson Bee Lab was giving talks about cell size, and specifically, that the feral bees in Arizona were smaller than kept bees.
How do we explain the pre AHB small bees in Arizona?

http://vimeo.com/19816966

>Small bees living in large cells would provide more space for varroa to multiply. Large bees living in large cells would have comparatively less space.

Isn't this exactly what the Seeley paper that you've been citing says doesn't happen?

deknow