From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 17:25:05 -0500
>I was in a meeting and I had a question about "Honey from Free Range Bees". This honey was sold in a Farmers' market and it was a big hit. Is there such thing?

A google search indicated beekeepers are
using the phrase.

The phrase works well in the poultry
business, and consumers have accepted
it as a label suggesting healthier
farm animals producing a healthier
product.

I'm wondering if it might evolve, or
beekeepers begin to adopt the phrase
as another way to portray an organic
product, or to deceive the consumer
in some manner.

The idea that bees should be allowed
to free range may have been around
for nearly 200 years.

There is a humorous proverb which suggests
bees should be allowed to free range.  It
appeared in the American Farmer in 1831.

"Keep plenty of cows and bees, as
the surest way of having milk and
honey. Confine your cows with a
good fence but let your bees go at