From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2011 09:18:29 +0100
>> “It is also perhaps not generally realized that a spell of
>> queenlessness, just prior to the main honey flow, will help check
>> both adult and brood diseases.”
> It is also a great way to reduce the amount of honey requiring
> extraction  and bottling.

No Allen it will not at our latitudes. If you remove the queen and
introduced a ripe cell beginning of July you will get more honey. Bees
will not have brood to feed for 2 weeks and thus all bees will go for
honey. You time it so all the eggs has been laid that's going to hatch
as bees during the flow. The new queen is mated at the end of the flow
and will produce the bees needed for winter. You winter the colony
with only young bees as the old field bees will die off raising the
winter generation. You will not winter super strong hives, but all
bees will be the right age and make it better through winter.

My season is about as short as yours, June and July. End of July it's
finished and only a few thistles and other marginal nectar producers
left. Think we talked about this before, but that's more than 10 years
ago...

P-O  at lat 60° north
beeman.se