From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 22:26:13 -0400
> What are you teaching here? If you wish to dictate science, and not allow doubt and questions.

Hmm. I wonder how I could have been so badly misunderstood. Oh well. What I meant was that I defend science as a successful venture based upon its many successes. I am a scientist by trade, so I tend to believe in what I do.

Science, however, is based upon ruthless questioning and overturning of failed theories. Science itself has failed us in many areas but its successes far outweigh its failures. I would not want to go back to the days before modern medicine, for example.

Scientists are wrong to be arrogant, to claim to know truth, etc. But such individuals are rare; most of us in the field are humbled by the complexity of life and the vastness of what we do not know.

My best
Pete