From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 15:53:43 -0700
Ormond Aebi described the 11-frames-in-a-brood-box idea in his book in the 70s.
I am not sure, but I seem to recall he ditched the experiment after a while, after not finding it successful or practical.

Shaving down the end bars and using 11 frames with plastic foundation would, I think, be somewhat problematic. Not only is there little room left over for frame removal, but with the wide midrib of the plastic foundation it seems the overall depth of the cells would be shorter than normal.

With the aforementioned bowed combs (on one-piece plastic frame/foundations) if two of the shallow sides are facing each other, in my experience, brood will not be reared on these combs, or it will be less than normal.