ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Spence, Andrew J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:33:52 +0000

Dear ASTC,

On Saturday June 15 2013 the Kentucky Science Center will host the third annual Youth Science Summit. This event, created in part by our Youth Infusion Board, has so far engaged over 200 motivated teens in a day of STEM programming. This day-long event was created as a way to showcase Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math to teens and contains sessions where professionals can speed mentor, discuss their research, etc. We're looking for Distance Learning professionals to speak on science careers, share exotic objects or fieldwork, or simply expose our participants to content not indigenous to the Louisville, Kentucky area.  This is a great opportunity to present to an enthusiastic youth audience; these participants are usually accelerated learners ages 11-18.

Does anyone have contacts or relationships with STEM professionals at universities, industries/corporations, and the like whom you think may enjoy participating as a distance learning partner? Alternatively, does your organization host Distance Learning programs with summer availability and the option of volunteering your services or perhaps some sort of programming exchange?

The participant list will separated into tracks for Middle and High School students. Additional attention will be given to the importance of girls in STEM (all times Eastern):

Middle School- 11:00-12:00 and 12:00-1:00

High School- 2:00-3:00, 3:00-4:00, and 4:00-5:00

We have the capability to connect via SKYPE or through our Polycom Distance Learning system.

Interested? Please do not hesitate to contact Andrew Spence, Visitor Experience Coordinator, directly at (502) 560-7129 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .
Thank you for your interest in celebrating STEM and sharing what you do with the next generation of researchers and professionals.

Sincerely,

Andrew Spence

 p.s. Do not hesitate to spread the word of this event to the teens in your lives if you live in or near Kentucky! A satellite Lexington Youth Science Summit will be on June 29 on Lexmark's campus, but the Distance Learning opportunities are only available on the 15th.

Andrew Spence
Visitor Experience Coordinator
Kentucky Science Center
Telephone: (502) 561-6100 ext. 6112
www.KYScienceCenter.org<http://www.KYScienceCenter.org>
http://www.facebook.com/KentuckyScienceCenter<http://www.facebook.com/LouisvilleScienceCenter>
http://www.twitter.com/KYscience<http://www.twitter.com/LouScience> / @KYscience

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.  - Aristotle