ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kristin Leigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:30:41 -0600

Hi there,
One thing to remember as people chime in here is that "curriculum"
doesn't consist only of symbolic language (graphic panels, written or
audio guides, etc.).
An exhibit that provides students with a wide variety of variables to
manipulate while investigating a concept listed in a state's science
standards relates directly to a teacher's curriculum on its own--and,
I'd argue, is the part the teacher most needs, as he/she probably has
all the needed written info back in the classroom. We can best serve our
audience of teachers by helping them provide students with opportunities
to directly manipulate physical materials in order to make important,
observable discoveries about the scientific phenomena described in their
district's and state's science standards.
Kristin

Kristin Leigh
Educational Services Director
Explora