ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 08:57:11 -0600

Kim, If by small exhibit staff you mean 2 people, including yourself, I have been there.

I brought in and sent out rental exhibits at two small CM's.  These were exhibits in the 2500 square foot range and usually just one large truck each.

In NY I used day laborers and they often did not speak good english. But they were strong and motivated and did almost all the heavy lifting.  It worked.  I also had to hire a union forklift operator to go along with the forklift.  But the guy knew what he was doing and it worked well despite the cost.

In Austin we always had young artist/musician-types that needed some work.  That also worked well.  We did not have to have a union operator for the forklift but we were lucky that one of the staff members had experience with the equipment.

A forklift can do some serious damage if not used properly so be careful.

In both cases the hired help had to be supervised by staff.  We usually divided into two teams with a staff member directing each.  You need a minimum of 4 very strong people to handle the stuff, even with the forklift, pallet jack and johnson bar.

Once everything was in place the staff did all the wiring and detailed assembly.  If you have temps do this, later, when you are troubleshooting or repairing something you will be in a bind not knowing exactly what was done originally.

Also the best thong to do is make sure you get the assembly manual before delivery and go through it a couple of times.  In my experience the instructions can range from really good to absolutely worthless.  And I would count on something closer to the later. Also do not count on the last museum having put the right parts in the right crates. That goes for all the little bolts and props and what not as well.

But above all else try and be as safe as you can be.

Erich Rose

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746