Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:49:58 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

What about interactive video wall installations?  They have been around for decades, have been copied, modified, and new versions are constantly being introduced.  As far as I know Ed Tannebaum did the first the silhouette type museum installation with his "Recollections".  His website lists one at the Exploratorium in 1980 or 1981.  Vincent John Vincent was doing silhouette "virtual reality" with his Amiga computer version of Mandala.  We had the programmable version of Mandala here for years and added it to the 1989 arcade exhibit "Hot Circuits" when we hosted it in the 90's.  Scott Snibbe keeps introducing imaginative uses of this whole-body interactive.  

For that matter, what about video games as having "a wide impact on the field, being adopted and/or copied by numerous institutions"?  I'm sure the debate on digital vs. physical exhibits will continue.  I'm not even going there.  ;->

I'm not sure I would consider multi-touch technology as having a wide impact, but it's certainly being adopted and copied.  Or are multitouch and the whole-body wall approach only newer interfaces to computer games?

Becky Fox Matthews
Senior Educator/Special Projects Manager
Adventure Science Center
800 Ft. Negley Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37203
615-401-5073

Our Mission
Adventure Science Center ignites curiosity and inspires the lifelong discovery of science. 

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2