HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:31:25 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hello Everyone,

I would like to find participants for a symposium on Archaeologies of Removal that  i'd like to put together at the 2014 SHA conference in Quebec City. Although I welcome contributers who specialize in historical north american notions of Removal (as in the colonial and postcolonial periods or the "indian removal act"), i'm equally interested in people studying wider, crosscultural notions of dramatic geographical displacement.

please see the abstract below and contact me if you are interested thanks,

Terry

Archaeologies of Removal

Anthropologies and histories of removal have been exploring the social and cultural dimensions of themes such as deportation and forced migration for some time. This topic is less resonant in archaeology, presenting us with an opportunity for dialogue on the materiality of geographical displacement.  To that end, this symposium invites contributors to discuss questions that provide archaeologists with fruitful avenues for exploring individual or social expulsion.  What is the relationship between material culture and causes, processes, or effects of removal?  What concepts or theories are most useful for conducting research on dramatic relocations? Do ethnographic and historical studies of themes such as asylum, indigenous rights, legal processes, terrorism, transnational citizenship, embodiment, globalization, finance, confinement, or militarism provide useful analytical domains for archaeologists? Where would government forced resettlement fit in this discourse (e.g. state or colonial projects of reservation or reduccione)? How might a consideration of the forces and opponents of enslavement resonate with other issues raised in the discussion? What is the best approach to representing and explaining the scope and significance of trauma or disruption? How do the contours of the discourse change when primary force(s) of relocation are natural or climatic? Ultimately, archaeologies of removal could involve many themes and intersect with various topics.

Terrance Weik

Associate Professor
Undergraduate Director
Department of Anthropology
University of South Carolina

see my new book at http://www.upf.com/book.asp?id=WEIKX001

ATOM RSS1 RSS2