HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dan S. Allen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2012 12:15:51 +0000
BOOM BABY!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/30/ric-savage-american-digger_n_1392285.html

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jim Tauber" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:04:54 PM
Subject: Re: American Diggers again (oh no, not again!)

I had this conversation with some 18-20 year olds in a class a few months ago.  It was a liberal studies class and most of the students had little interest in the idea of doing it because it was the right thing and would help us to understand where we came from.  Our (American) view of land ownership and the boon of some treasure held far more sway with them.  The only argument that I found successful was making it very personal.  I picked out a student who had talked about his family living in our area for generations.  I asked him how he would feel about me buying his family farm and then going on a hunt for parts of his past.  Finding an old family Bible in a barn, selling that dresser that his great grandfather brought with him from Germany, or pulling the rings off his grandmothers bones to sell (yes I know it is illegal).  Some got it, others just won’t.
Jim