ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:14:13 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>

I am discussing with a colleague the idea of an animation that would allow one to "time travel" to see how the universe formed (formation of the galaxies, etc) in the span of a couple of minutes (so it can be adapted into an exhibit).  I figured I would tap the collective conscious of this group to see what experiences people have had in the past regarding animations.  In particular I am curious about
1) Cost Estimates (In the past I have seen figures on the order of 5k-10k / minute of animation) does this ring true?
2) Pitfalls to avoid.
3) Do you know of any similar projects (I have seen the computational pieces put out by U.Chicago:  http://cosmicweb.uchicago.edu/filaments.html )
4) If pursued and funded I expect this would be released free of charge on the web and for use by science centers...would that be interesting to you?
5) Other experiences you feel we should learn from.

Thanks so much in advance for any constructive comments.

-William