Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:07:33 -0500
7bit
From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Most often the bees are found to be demoralized when there are no eggs or
young open brood left and no queen cells being tended.  Before we even lift
a frame we can hear either the agitated queenless roar busy trying to set
things right, or the desolate moan of the demoralized hive.

I remember reading in one of the old bee books on my shelf of a study that
was done where all the drones were removed from a colony during the
honey-making season.  (A bigger honey crop - they just eat and don't
produce.)  The comment was made that the absence of the drones caused the
colony to have "poor moral."  That does sound a bit like an emotion.  The
crop was not improved.

If you believe the behavioral psychologists, emotions are really only a
learned behavior.  Why could not an animal as behaviorally complex as the
honey bee learn behaviors that we would tag as emotions.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL USA