HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:08:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
"This is way too much information in one e-mail."
Couldn't disagree more; this is a very concise presentation of great sources that will save a lot of us a lot of time.
Thanks for your ongoing commitment to the topic! 
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Toulouse and Other Bottle Resources

One last word about Toulouse.  Bottle Makers and Their Marks was state of the art in 1971.  However, we have learned a tremendous amount about bottles during the intervening four decades.  There are literally dozens of typos on dates in Toulouse.  On one page, he states three different dates for the same event.  We know so much more now.

Btw, I am not running Toulouse down.  He did a wonderful job with late 1960s technology.  He had no internet, no computer, and no eBay for resources.  Six or seven years ago, I published an article in the SHA newsletter about the various bottle sources and their inaccuracies.  I will ask Bill Lindsey to post that on the Historical Bottle Website.  Many of my articles and those of the Bottle Research Group are already available (free) on that site.

The three best places for current bottle information are:

Bill Lindsey's Historical Bottle Website -- This is the most complete write-up about historic bottles that exists.  Bill is one of the founding members of the Bottle Research Group

http://www.sha.org/bottle/

David Whitten's Manufacturer's Marks website -- David is a former member of the Bottle Research Group, and we still trade information regularly.  His information is carefully researched and updated as new information becomes available.

http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html

Tod von Mechow's Beer & Soda Bottle site -- Although this site is limited to beer and soda bottles, Tod has invested a great deal of in-depth research into the subject.  Although he is not a member of the Bottle Research Group, we trade data on a regular basis.

http://www.sodasandbeers.com/

There are other good sources, too, although most are somewhat specialized.  Ron Fowler is almost ready to post his database of more than 16,000 Hutchinson soda bottles.  This is by far the best researched information on Hutchinson bottles in existence.

The Bottle Research Group is also available to answer bottle questions.  Send questions to me at:

[log in to unmask]

or

[log in to unmask]

Questions may also be directed to us through Bill Lindsey's website.

This is way too much information in one e-mail.

Bill

Bill Lockhart
Professor of Sociology
New Mexico State University
Alamogordo, NM
(575) 439-3732

ATOM RSS1 RSS2