HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Meagan Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:15:38 -0400
I became a Facebook convert rather late when I joined the board of the Ontario Archaeological Society.  We have a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2241248392/ ), as at the time the plan was that it would be used more for member communication and discussion. However, the  page now goes well beyond that and serves the functions of public outreach and communication with our members. To this end we put up links to news articles relevant to Ontario and beyond, information for public and member based field opportunities, Chapter events, and public events. We also use it to post pictures about our activities, relevant documents such as letters of protest  and as a place to link information and education about archaeology in Ontario.

Clearly we could do a lot of this on our website, however the immediacy of Facebook has been extremely useful, and I particularly like being able to use it to initiate discussion. We also have a yahoo group, and LinkedIn group that tend to be used by members only and are not particularly useful for outreach.

However, one of the challenges for our organization has been a changing demographic that includes older members who are not as comfortable with internet based communication, so we still provide a paper newsletter.  I have also found that nothing replaces being physically present at heritage and community events and that handing out hard copy promotional material is still very important. After doing an event, I always note an increase in our Facebook group membership!

I notice no one has mentioned Twitter yet, this to can be an incredibly useful tool to provide immediate and responsive outreach, albeit one that can take a bit more dedication.

Meagan Brooks