HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Harding Polk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:24:51 -0400
The ceramic item is indeed a porcelain electrical insulator from ca. late 19th-early 20th century.  In a quick look in references, I couldn't find the maker's mark.
The metal item may be a snuff box lid, although I think it might be a little small.  An alternate may be tobacco related, ie. a tobacco pipe lid such as seen on some larger alpine or Bavarian type pipes, although it seems a bit large for that.  Is there a known ethnic affiliation to the site?  The lid would allow the smoker to close the pipe, extinguish the fire, carry the pipe without spilling the tobacco to be able to relight it later.  Yet another alternative may be the lid to a container associated with a toiletry set.

Harding Polk II