HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Harding Polk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:06:10 -0400
Deni,

I just did a quick perusal of my Historical Archaeology volumes and came up with the articles Chinookian Survial and Persistance on the Lower Columbia: The View from the Kathlamet Village (Vol. 34, No. 4, 2009) and Nativism, Resistance, and Ethnogenesis of the Florida Seminole Indian Identity (2007, Vol. 41, No 4).  I think you do a disservice to yourself in stating, "They only let the stories of white people into their journal."  It is rather harsh criticism that when you raise the banner of racism.  As a long time member of that organization, I feel is just plain untrue.  I will acknowledge a preponderence of articles dealing with "white people" and their culture, but I have seen more than a few articles on African-American, Chinese, and other ethnic groups, including whole volumes on Chinese Imigrant/Chinese American topics (2008 Vol. 42, No. 3) Creolization (2000, Vol. 34, No. 3) which includes the article, Representing Colonizers: An Archaeology of Creolization, Ethnogenesis, and Indigenous Material Culture among the Haida, and African Diaspora (2004, Vol. 38, No. 1) to name a few.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with attempting to get your article published, but I think you paint with too broad a brush in your criticism of the organization as a whole.  The organization and its journal and newsletter are important contributors to the field of archaeology.  Having been one of those of the "Eastern power base" before moving out here 20 years ago, I always felt that there was a bit of indifference to Historical Archaeology here in the West.  One of the reasons I developed my Quick Reference to 20th C. Historical Artifacts field cheat sheet was to help the great preponderence of field archaeologists here in the west that were squeamish or dismissive of dealing with that historic trash: ie. bottles and cans.

Harding Polk II