From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:31:51 -0300
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Bil Harley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> http://ocs.jki.bund.de/index.php/GMOhoney/GMOhoney/paper/view/78
>
> I’m afraid that I do not speak German but I downloaded and read the
> introduction in English

The presentation is mainly in english, I do not understand the reference to
German.

I am interested particularly on this slide:

The customer is always right!
• The views of beekeepers on GMOs around
the world may vary greatly.
• But it does not matter, what beekeepers
think. It matters, what our customers think.
• What matters is also, what our customers
have been promised by the commission about
GMOs in their food:
– Freedom of choice
– Coexistence
– Zero-tolerance

and on this one

Drawing the wrong conclusions:
• The Court clearly agreed with the beekeepers, that honey
cannot remain outside of the GMO regulatory framework.
• The Court could have ruled, that (EC) No 1829/2003 has to
be changed.
• The Court found a way to cure this problem within current
rules.
• The ruling of the European Court of Justice means that
pollen has to be treated like an ingredient pursuant to
Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003, not that it is an ingredient in
any other regulatory context.
• Therefore, it is wrong to assume that the court decision has
any effect on the regulation of honey not containing GMOs.
• Nothing in the ruling requires any regulatory body to change
how GMO-free honey is labeled.

That was replied by Dorothée André
Head of Unit Biotechnology and Plant Health. DG SANCO. European Commission
http://ocs.jki.bund.de/index.php/GMOhoney/GMOhoney/paper/view/69

WHAT THE RULING SAYS: Very clearly, the ruling determines that pollen
becomes an ingredient of honey. The fact that pollen of GM plants (such as
MON810 maize) in honey becomes an ingredient has consequences of the
authorisation, labelling and detection of GM pollen in honey under the GMO
legislation. By concluding that pollen is an ingredient of honey, the Court
ruling also impacts the labelling of honey: pollen needs to be listed as an
ingredient even if the honey is GM-free. There are 2 ingredients: pollen
and honey.

And all this is crazy ... I insist we need to educate our customers.

Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.
Carrera 695
Gorbea - CHILE