quoted-printable
In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version:
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Brendan:
Check out my book, Eldorado! The Archaeology of Gold Mining in the Far North, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 2011. I co-edited it with Robin O. Mills, Karl Gurcke and Roderick Sprague. My chapter 4 covers residential sites, including what I call bachelor male residences, including boarding houses for men in lumber camps and mining camps. Chapter 13, by Robin Mills, discusses the town of Coldfoot, Alaska, which had a number of boarding houses in it. Chapter 10, by T. J. Hammer is about Canyon City, Yukon, which was a company town, and housed a number of men in boarding situations. Chapter 12, by Michael Brand, is about transient miners in Dawson, Yukon. That also may have some information about boarding that might be of interest to you. 
While none of this is copper mining, I've found that mining is mining, and especially in residential situations, the archaeology of men in communal living is very similar. Once you've given our book a look-through, send me a message; Robin and I have done more work with the Coldfoot material besides what's in the book.
Cathy

Catherine H. Spude, PhD

Montana Dawn, Enterprises

7 Avenida Vista Grande #145

Santa Fe, NM 87508

505-466-1476 home

505-913-1326 cell

[log in to unmask]

> Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 08:28:47 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: 19th Century Mining Location Boarding Houses
> To: [log in to unmask]
> 
> Hello, I am working on a project in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on a 19th century boarding house at a copper mining site. I am looking for comparative data, and I am running into some dead ends. If anyone knows of anything out there relating to 19th century boarding houses, please share, especially if it relates to Michigan, Montana, Alaska, or any other regions with abundant mining activity.
> 
> Thank you for your help,
> Brendan

ATOM RSS1 RSS2