HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 12:01:41 -0700
From:
Chris Hardaker <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Doug, I just wanted to say thanks for your words. And thanks, Bill. He
was my chairman for a MA thesis at UAz in the late 1980s. I wanted to
look at pueblo geometry but he said no, and suggested the baroque, and
then suggested DC, which has led to the adventure of a lifetime. I
hated him when he first suggested the baroque, but growth hurts I
guess, and when the features were found, he found himself in the
position of growing as well. That he was a pioneer in making
archaeology relevant to the modern cultural world, instead of as an
entertainment, is without question. Sadly, I only knew him up close
for those couple of years, but he lived (and instilled) that
possibility, or mission, of trying to fuse the relevance, utility and
the practicality of the profession into modern life. He succeeded in
revolutionizing the field. He leaves behind an honored legacy, and
hopefully many clones.
Chris