HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:43:53 -0400
From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Megan,

Your best bet for finding pattern names for hotel wares would be to look at
catalogs from hotelware supply companies.  Some of the big ones that I know
of are:

Albert Pick Company, Inc. of Chicago

Nathan Straus and Sons Inc. of New York

Parkuet, Hout & Moneuse Co. of New York

R. A. Davis & Sons of Baltimore.

E. B. Adams Company of Washington D.C.

There are many more hotel supply companies that probably produced catalogs.
I have found my copies of such catalogs at paper shows.  One of the big
paper shows is at Allentown, Pennsylvania.  These catalogs are not cheap
when you find them.  There may be copies of these catalogs at the Library of
Congress, Winterthur Museum, or at the Smithsonian Museum of American
History Library.  The Warshaw Collection of historical ephemera at the
Smithsonian may also be another good possibility.

            The green lined hotelware pattern that is illustrated in the
sites you refer to has a very long history.  Page 7 of my article “A Revised
Set of CC Index Values for Classification and Economic Scaling of English
Ceramics from 1787 to 1880” (*Historical Archaeology* Vol 25 no. 1:1-25) has
a discussion of the “Lined” wares coming in during the 1770s as tableware
and the morphing of these into hotel Band-and-Line Wares in the last quarter
of the 19th century.

            Hunter Research in Trenton, New Jersey has excavated a boatload
of hotel wares from factory waster tips and done some good research on the
potteries.  They may have some catalogs.  Bill Liebeknecht has been actively
involved in these excavations and research.  The Pottery of Trenton Society
had a newsletter and an annual meeting.  There has been a discussion of a
session on hotel wares.

Peace,

George L. Miller