HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:51:10 -0400
From:
"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
This issue is more complex than it seems. Normally we would all say
we must go back to the original source, read it, and reference it.
However, a great deal of knowledge works its way into our general
views and definitions of the subject and topics within a specific
field. We could end up with a pedantic mess of everything being so
over referenced that no one would want to read the results. The key
is the focus of what the current author is discussing. For example,
if I am looking at the work of Jared Diamond and he has many internal
references it is not necessary for me to redo all his sources as long
as I correctly summarize his views and positions. In contrast if I am
trying to critique Diamond then I certainly must go back to his
original sources on which he is basing his conclusions.

On the negative side in many disciplines (especially a field like
"ethnohistory") a younger scholar comes along and takes some fully
accepted  statement or conclusion and traces it back many steps to
the original source (document) only to find out the original source
was unclear, misread or actually said the opposite of what a Swanton
or a Wissler said decades ago. Yet their interpretation has become
standard in the field. This canonical knowledge problem is very
common in all "historical" disciplines.

Bob Schuyler