HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:26:38 -0500
From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hello All,

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, we have gone ahead and organized a
General Session on the War of 1812 for the 2012 Annual Meeting in
Baltimore, MD.

We currently have a pretty good group of papers, but would welcome
any others that might be interested.  I have attached the Symposium
title and abstract.  If any of you are interested in participating,
please let me know ASAP.

July 10 is the drop-dead date for submitting paper abstracts to the
computerized system!

Thanks, Mark

Two Centuries On: Historical Archaeology and the War of 1812

Lasting from only 1812-15, America's "second war of independence" had
a profound effect on the young nation. While these effects were most
obvious in relation to contemporary relations with Canada and Great
Britain, perhaps more profound were its long-term effects on
America's relations with Native American communities, who largely
sided with the British. Despite the relatively short-term nature of
the conflict, nearly the entire country was affected - from the
Atlantic Coast to the Mississippi Valley, and from the Great Lakes
and Old Northwest to the Gulf Coast. This session will provide a
sampling of current research on War of 1812 sites from a wide variety
of geographical contexts.

--

Mark C. Branstner, RPA
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Prairie Research Institute
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

"I hope that was an empty bottle, George! You can't afford to waste
good liquor. Not on your salary, not on an associate professor's
salary!" Elizabeth Taylor (1932-2011) as 'Martha' in 'Who's Afraid of
Virginia Woolf'