HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2011 23:22:06 +0200
From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
I guess this was it (not quite the wording I remembered): "Although some
development work has taken place (q.v. Dalland 1984; Harris, Brown III and
Brown 1993), there has been little critical analysis of the matrix, and its
use has now become so universal that some archaeologists appear to have
forgotten its original purpose. The stratigraphic matrix now is the
archaeological site; it has ceased to be an aid to interpretation
altogether, and has become a rather arcane representation of the entire
process of excavation. Some archaeologists talk about the large size of
their matrix as if this information alone is enough to suggest the richness
and the complexity of the archaeology they have been encountering."