HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:41:32 -0500
From:
Patrick Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Transferware Collectors Club
Monthly News December 2010

Dear TCC eNews Readers: We're pleased to send you the latest edition of our
monthly e-newsletters informing you of up-coming club activities and
interesting new content on our web site.

Spode Exhibition Online

The Transferware Collector's Club, in partnership with Winterthur Museum,
Garden & Library and The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery, Stoke-on-Trent,
England, is proud to announce the launch of http://spodeceramics.com, an
unique Web-based interactive online exhibition.

You are invited to visit the special exhibition from the comfort of your
home. This online exhibition was launched on October 23, 2010 at the TCC
Annual Meeting. While focusing on the blue printed patterns of Spode from c.
1784-1833, the exhibition will allow you to explore the wider world of the
Spode family history and business as well as offer ways to discover more
about life in the Staffordshire Potteries of that period.  Learn more about
the exhibition.

Pattern of the Month

"Christmas Day"
Children's patterns were intended as gifts or teaching tools. This seven
inch plate does both. It was probably a Christmas gift and its molded border
teaches the alphabet. As is typical for most patterns made for children, the
maker is unknown. More information and other patterns

Henrywood's Highlights

"Select Sketches" series
A somewhat uncommon and rather eclectic series of individually titled views
of Britain, Europe and America, usually attributed to Thomas Dimmock & Co.
of Shelton and Hanley. More information

Great Gift Ideas for the Holidays

Consider a book on Transferware for the collectors on your holiday gift
list! May we suggest: Spode Transfer Printed Ware 1784-1833 by Drakard and
Holdway, 2002. This book, first printed in 1983, has now been extensively
enlarged and revised, listing and illustrating every known transfer print
issued by the Spode family at their Works in Stoke-on-Trent. More than 100
additional prints have been discovered since 1983.

We also suggest: Success to America: Creamware for the American Market by S.
Robert Teitelman, Patricia A. Halfpenny, and Ronald W. Fuchs II, (with
essays by Wendell D. Garrett and Robin Emmerson). Visit our books and
publications page for even more ideas. Many books can be purchased with one
click through to the Amazon.com web site.

And happy holiday wishes from the Transferware Collectors Club to our
transferware friends everywhere!

2011 Annual Meeting

Our 2011 Annual Meeting will be held October 20-23 in Baltimore, Maryland.
Hold these dates--more details will be published when available.

Club News

An updated Membership List is now available (for members only, and only for
non-commercial use). Download Now. Please review your entry on the list, and
notify us of any changes in your contact information.
"Robert Copeland on Spode"

We are saddened by the September 10, 2010 passing of our dear friend and TCC
supporter, Robert Copeland.  More information.

With Robert's passing earlier this fall, the Transferware Collectors Club's
production of the DVD Robert Copeland on Spode, completed just two years ago
in September of 2008, becomes a particularly important way to retain
Robert's insightful comments on the Pottery Industry and the key role Spode
played in the development of underglaze printed wares and England's own
version of fine porcelain: bone china.

More information about the DVD Robert Copeland on Spode and an opportunity
to purchase online.

2010 Spring/Summer Bulletin now available!

"Falling in Love with the Cupid Series" is the featured free article of the
2010 Spring/Summer TCC Bulletin. William Adams produced wares for the
American market from 1804-1840 "in the dark blue hue." During this period,
romanticized scenes were replacing classical images in popularity, and the
Cupid Series, produced between 1820-1830, was a nice bridge between the
styles. Sample a selection of feature articles or visit our Archive of
Bulletins.

Visit our Clubs & Information Page for new listings!

We regularly update our listings of clubs and other information sources that
may be of interest to you! Our newest listing is the Oxford Ceramics Group,
whose objective is to encourage the study of the development of European
pottery and porcelain up to the present day. It aims to provide a forum for
collectors, students and enthusiasts to obtain and exchange information.
Find more of the informative resources we've compiled here.

 Database Count
6504 patterns and 529 source prints
now available in the Database.
Not a member?
Preview the Database.

Become a Member

Membership in the TCC costs just $50/year (or $60/year outside U.S.) and
gives you full access to this website, the Database and Bulletins.

Learn More
 Free Classified Ads

Members (non-dealers) can post classified ads for free.
The Transferware Collectors Club <http://www.transcollectorsclub.org> in
Great Britain maintains a databse of several thousand transfer printed
patterns that may be able to help. However, they do charge for membership
acess to their databse.

Patrick Tucker
Swanton, Ohio, USA