HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:04:53 -0400
Again, not Spanish, but in VA, Thomas Jefferson at Monticello had large pots on a rope and pulley system that were slid out the side door of his elevated privy, if memory serves. William Byrd II of Westover had two elevated privies, of which the survivor privy is a 5 seater that undoubtedly had pots below that were removed out of the side door. Disposal after that is unknown. In the 20th century, the western privy was known as the garden shed while the eastern retained its function, primarily as a tourist attraction, although some idiot tourists have used it. That brings up the question of how elevated privies might be interpreted from the archaeological record if there was no mapping, and no other trace visible apart from four foundation walls. Placement relative to the main house would point in that direction but wouldn't be dispositive. Chemical analysis of soil would probably push the interpretation in the right direction, though.

Lyle Browning