HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Barbour, Matthew, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:08:12 +0000
Dedie chimed in about wells in Santa Fe already. However, I feel the need to chime in on waste management systems.

During the Spanish Colonial period, the acceptable procedure for human waste disposal in the province of New Mexico appears to have involved its placement in fields, irrigation ditches, and streets. Once tossed, scavengers in the form of dogs, pigs, and chickens consumed much of it aided by the strong sun and wind which quickly dried up any remaining filth. Santa Fe, as the largest and most urban environment within the territory, was the first to try to curtail these activities. Ordinances were initially established by the city’s legal advisor Don Antonio Barriero as a result of the Mexican Government’s fear of a cholera epidemic spreading from merchants traveling down along the Santa Fe Trail in 1833. These ordinances included the draining of stagnant pools, the cleaning of the streets and prohibition against throwing trash, human waste, and dead animals into irrigation ditches and streams. Unfortunately, the measures were not enforced. It was not until 1870 when a County Probate Judge issued police regulations to enforce the 1833 Mexican Government ordinances. Then in 1879, those ordinances were modified and reissued by the County Commissioner further reinforcing the stance taken nearly 50 years earlier.

Having directed excavation of close to 40 "self-contained vault privies" in the downtown Santa Fe, the earliest vault I have seen dates to the 1850s during the American Territorial Period. That is not say they were not present before that time, I have just never seen one. Most in the city appear to not have used outhouses until the 1880s. The bucket system, described by one of the list writers, is really hard to recognize archaeologically. However, I thought I found one of these "sanitary privies" behind the Fort Marcy NCO Quarters.

I am not sure this helps at all, but as I like privies, I thought I would chime in

Matt

Matthew J. Barbour
Historical Archaeologist

Office of Archaeological Studies