Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2012 13:55:53 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
I thought the recovery of the cannon from a lake WAS from the episode "near Jamestown, VA," no? The additional "news" coverage of this bogus reality-TV show on AOL/Huffington Post or any other "news" outlets is infuriating.

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harding Polk
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: American Diggers again (oh no, not again!)

Well they've done it again.  AOL/HufffingtonPost posted another  article on American Diggers (see below).  Arrrgh!  
On the latest episode of “_American Digger_
(http://www.aoltv.com/show/american-digger/9057067) " (Wed., 10 p.m. ET  on Spike), Ric Savage and his crew headed to Jamestown, Va., in search of  colonial relics. But perhaps more exciting than America’s origins was Ric Savage  himself!

Savage stopped by the TVReplay studio to chat about his trip and  the amazing discovery he and the American Savage crew made: a British cannon  from the 1700s.

After a freezing-cold dive, crew member Rue discovered it  at the bottom of a lake. The cannon, combined with a glass onion bottle and a  grenade fragment, got Ric a whopping $10,000. He called the weapon one of the  most important finds in his company’s history.

Watch our interview with  Ric above – we talk British accents (he even did
one) and, of course, his “Boom  Baby!” catchphrase. Indeed, Ric belted his signature catchphrase for us – a  priceless find in itself.

“American Digger” airs Wednesdays at  10 p.m. ET on Spike.

Interesting they don't mention what lake, I'm suspecting maybe Lake  
Champlain because of the cold and British references.   
More curious is that he is heading to Jamestown VA.  Now I know that  the entire Jamestown Island is owned by NPS, except for a ca. 10 acre parcel owned by the Assoc. for Pres. of VA Antiquities where Jamestown Discovery has been excavating the original fort for the past 10 years plus.  Adjacent on the mainland is Jamestown Fort operated by the Jamestown/Yorktown Foundation.  I don't think any of them is interested in Ric Savage coming  to savage their properties.  Is he going to work offshore in the James  River (like Joel Shiner did in the 1950s) and thumb his nose at NPS and  APVA?  Even in the river I'm sure he needs a state permit.  There is a  little private land on the adjacent mainland.  

Its unfortunate that they are getting continued national press, but I suppose it is to be expected when they continue to find such "important"  
artifacts (read: most $ for any one artifact).  One wonders what the  disposition and, more importantly, its condition is now that it is out of its  mostly stabilized underwater environment.  I'm sure as we sit here and  read, it is popping, fizzing, flaking, and exfoliating  as the oxidation  process
(rusting) has been so suddenly accelerated.  

My rant for today.

Harding Polk II

ATOM RSS1 RSS2