HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Harding Polk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 13:52:42 -0400
Julie,

I know that the College of William and Mary investigated a late 18th C. mikvah in St. Eustatius, Netherlands Antillies back in the 1980s under the direction of the late Dr. Norman Barka.  I believe it may be one of the oldest in the Americas.  You might also check with the St. Eustatius Center for Archaeological Research (www.secar.org).

Secondly, back in 1990 I investigated what I interpreted as a late 19thC animal treadmill-powered buttery at Sully Plantation, adjacent to Dulles Airport in northern Virginia.  It was a part of its dairy complex.  I prepared the report through MAI (MAAR [MidAtlantic Archaeological Research] Associates Inc.) of Newark DE (although I was in the Williamsburg VA office).  Unfortunately I believe MAI no longer exists.  I would imagine that Sully Plantation or Fairfax County has a copy of the report on file, see:  www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/sully/

If they do not have a copy, I might be able to dig through my old reports and relocate my copy.

Harding Polk II
Archaeologist
Bureau of Indian Affairs
Southwest Regional Office