From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:53:37 -0600
>I was in a meeting and I had a question about "Honey from Free Range Bees".
>This honey was sold in a Farmers' market and it was a big hit. Is there
>such thing?

Only a marketing tool.

All bees are free ranging.

There is quite a bit of misinformation about honey around. Today I was
listening to "The Power Hour"
talk radio program as the program was about the health benefits of
honey,olive oil  and apple cider vinegar by a woman which had written a
book.

I figured she knew what she was talking about. Wrong.

She had apparently received most her information from a local Texas
beekeeper.

She said all the honey sold in stores was not "real honey" .

She said you should insist on raw honey but if crystallizes simply place in
the microwave and liquefy without even saying to be very careful. I forget
her name or the books title but telling people its safe to heat honey in a
microwave without a strong warning is asking for a lawsuit. The lady which
was scalded at McDonalds got a million dollar settlement (without serious
burns leaving scars!).

Her book was about honey, vinegar & olive oil. Most of what she said I agree
with as I use all three items .

For sure honey sold in stores for the most part (other than maybe health
food stores) if over processed to provide shelf life but certainly "pure
honey" as defined under current U.S. laws.

bob