HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ian Burrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 12:51:27 -0400
I think this is an important discussion, but the undercurrents are a little
strong and this seems to have generated another flurry of resignations from
the list.

In that context I'd like to ask Colin why he signs himself "Peasant".  I am
not trying to "attack the messenger", and I am guessing that this may be
intended as ironic, but I will be frank here and say that it comes across to
me as a somewhat passive-aggressive, in-your-face, kind of self-labelling.
This may in fact an example of the kind of nuance that can be such a problem
with virtual communications by getting people's hackles up.

I think there are valid criticisms of large conferences that I have not seen
mentioned in this string so far.  One is the poor quality of both the
content and delivery of quite a lot of the papers I hear.  The second is the
over-scheduling that, time after time, eliminates all possibility for
discussion and debate.  This is often compounded by poor time-keeping and
ineffective moderation of sessions.  I am not ready to abandon the tradition
of major conferences just yet, but I do think that they are not living up to
their potential.  I would like to see much more structured discussion,
reflection, synthesis and consensus building on ways to advance particular
topics and the discipline as a whole.  I understand the pressures to have a
lot of speakers and sessions, but I think there should be some more thought
given to this whole matter.

There is a positive feature that has not I think been mentioned, and one
which I personally value.  This is the simple fact that when I attend a
conference like the SHA I am given the opportunity to focus exclusively on
thinking about archaeology.  In my daily work this is often difficult to do,
and I expect it is for many other people also.  These days I do tend to
bring some of my daily life with me in the form of my smartphone and my
laptop, but, even so, life is a bit different for a while.  The simple fact
of being in a different location where this is going on does make a big
psychological difference.  It may be that this difference can be created in
some alternative way, but I think we need to have a fuller understanding of
all the different benefits of big conferences before we abandon them.  I
imagine that there is actually some hard data about all this in social
anthropological literature.  Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Another aspect, which has been touched on by Mike Polk, is continuing
professional education.  We talk a lot about this in archaeology, but as far
as I know only the RPA has actually got a CPE program in place at this time.
CPE can be done in many different fora, but conferences are surely a very
good venue.  If we took CPE a little more seriously there would be real
incentives to get people to conferences in order to obtain required credits
and certificates, and this might indeed make more resources available to
assist those who currently find costs prohibitive.

Ian Burrow