HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 07:50:00 -0700
Recently on the NPS tour of the Schuyler Mansion in Schuylerville, NY the docent or guide through the wonderfully true-to-form and date premises, explained at the beginning of the tour that ground-penetrating radar had been used and now thought the original foundation, before the village was attacked and burned, was at 90 degrees to the present "footprint". I'm not sure what other archeology may have gone on there, we were testing in the nearby sewerage treatment plant. Schuylerville was once a much larger urban town with factories along the Champlain Canal and very historic the original, old "Saratoga, NY".

As to the US NPS there is a great source at National Park Service History: Park Histories

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/park_histories/index.htm#l