HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2012 14:33:53 -0400
Hi Marybeth,
Gentian purple is a complex organic compound, methylrosaniline chloride.  The aqueous solution is an intense purple, but the dried powder is dark green and the granules are green with a metallic luster.  If you have green particles, that might suggest gentian purple, which was used as an antiseptic and anti-helmintic (anti-worm medicine).  It would probably be hard to find a specific chemical test for gential violet.  If I was convinced that it is a likely ingredient on the outside of your bottles and wanted to confirm it by a chemical test, I would check with a college/university chemistry dept. and ask for the name of the supply house where they purchase the stain, and then contact the manufacturer.
Allen Vegotsky