HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:55:09 -0400
Tim,

Your question concerning tulip shape cups and bowls in the “common shape”

You state, “In the table provided, it lists printed as rare for whiteware,
not seen for white granite, and not seen for bone china.  Pearlware is not
listed.”  I assume you are referring to the table following the drawing of
the tulip shape on page 13 of the “Common Staffordshire Cup and Bowl
Shapes” article posted on the Jefferson Patterson Park Diagnostic artifact
web site.  Pearlware is not listed for tulip shape because the tulip shape
does not get introduced until the post pearlware production period.    In
that table, undecorated tulip shape cups are listed as common on whitewares
and white granite wares.  They are not listed for decoration under white
granite because if they were decorated, they would not be white granite.

You mentioned that the cups you are classifying as tulip shape are paneled.
I think that these would be what the potters were calling “pressed.”  Tulip
shape cups do not have panels.  Unfortunately, I did not write up pressed
cups because the data was rather thin on the use of the term.  The pressed
shapes commonly have 12 to 14 side panels.  Is that what you mean by
paneled cups?  My paper covers the most common cup shapes, and there were
may others that seem to have had rather short ranges of production and that
we rarely see from archaeological assemblages.  Michael Berthoud’s book *A
Compendium of British Cups* illustrates a huge number of cup shapes (1990
Micawber Publications, Shropshire, Great Britain).

For those looking for a copy of this paper, it can be found on the
Jefferson Patterson Park web site under diagnostic artifacts.  I think the
address is

http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/index.htm

Another source that might be of help is my articles “Thoughts toward a
Users’ Guide to Ceramic Assemblages” that first appeared in the Council for
Northeast Historical Archaeology Newsletters, and now can be downloaded for
free from the CNEHA web site.

Peace and have a good cup-ulation,

George L. Miller