HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Hylkema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:45:29 -0700
Hi HISTARCH'ers,

Does anyone know of any information on Spanish Colonial wells or privies? I have the 2009 glass bead report on St. Catherine's Island which discusses two wells, but does anyone know of anything else, particularly with regards to missions in California? Just this week we excavated a six foot deep cylindrical hole, about three feet in diameter, filled with roof and floor tiles, cattle bone, shell and glass beads, and some bone tools/objects. We are in the heart of the neophyte living area at Mission Santa Clara, which was occupied starting in 1781 and was used until the 1830's, possibly '40's. I don't have my field pics uploaded just yet, but can post a photo shortly if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Linda Hylkema, MA, RPA
Santa Clara University

Linda Hylkema, M.A., R.P.A.
Archaeological Research Lab
Ricard Memorial Observatory
Santa Clara University
500 E. El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA  95053
(408) 554-4513
(408) 551-1709 fax
http://www.scu.edu/cas/archaeology/

BEGIN:VCARD VERSION:2.1 X-GWTYPE:USER FN:Linda Hylkema TEL;WORK:4513 ORG:;College of Arts & Science TEL;PREF;FAX:551-1709 EMAIL;WORK;PREF:[log in to unmask] N:Hylkema;Linda TITLE:staff END:VCARD